Monday, February 6, 2012

Waitangi Day Coffee

With today being a public holiday I was faced with a problem-the public holiday surcharge!
As far as I am concerned there is no price you can put on a good coffee and cake but Mr. K hates it and has started to refuse to go to any place with public holiday surcharges.
So today I was faced with the dilemma of either going to the Hardware cafe our regular haunt in Titrangi which I knew didn't have a surcharge or take a chance on a new place. Mr. K. can be a reluctant cafe dweller at times since he thinks if he does it too often he will turn into a Jafa but holiday's are an exception. Holiday's make cafe going okay in Mr. K's eyes so I took the opportunity of the long weekend to drag Mr. K to Onehunga in search of a new cafe.

The first cafe on my list was closed for the holiday so we headed up Onehunga Mall in search of an alternative. We past a few good options but headed right to the top of the hill to Brick by Brick.

It was serving Allpress coffee which is always a good start and seemed clean and friendly. The cake selection wasn't huge but I had a blueberry muffin and Mr. K. had an almond croissant with our flat whites.
Unfortunately the coffee was awful. Usually Allpress is consistently good but this was too string and burnt. Turns out a bad barista can ruin even an Allpress. The muffin was good but nothing has touched the blueberry muffin from Napier.
Mr. K complained that the croissant had been over blasted in the microwave.
What a shame but it was a cute place, which seemed to have a Japanese twist. There were lovely looking stuffed tofu pockets and home-made Teriyaki sauce for sale. Next time I'll skip the coffee and go for something else I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @CherryLawson