Saturday, November 24, 2012

Malaysian Style Noodles

In my mid-twenties I decided to quit my job and move to South Korea as an English Teacher.  I was hoping for an adventure and heaps of money, or at least that’s how it was sold to me by my friend who had decided he wanted a life less ordinary. I think I was a little in love with my friend too so the idea of heading off on an exotic adventure together seemed romantic and exciting.
Of course it didn’t work out exactly as I hoped but I did have an adventure and learned some big life lessons on the way.
What does unrequited love and South Korea have to do with Malaysian style noodles? Well nothing really except one of those life lessons learned, courtesy of my friend less ordinary, plays a part in the following recipe.
My approach to cooking is the same as my approach to life- it involves minimal preparation, romantic ideas and an uncertain outcome.
Not for my friend less ordinary, for him cooking was all about the preparation.
There were times when the preparation of a meal took so long I would go out for a snack, take a nap and then get up only to find the cooking had still not started. It wasn’t so much the time taken, although often this was quite extreme, but the number of dishes used in the process that drove me crazy. Every item would be meretriciously sliced, cubed, peeled, washed etc. and placed on its own individual plate and all his recipes seemed to include a ridiculously large number of components, often leading to the use of every plate, bowl, and saucer we owned.
I will never be able to go to the same extremes as my friend less ordinary but for some recipes I try to restrain myself and prepare all the elements before I start cooking. I think my Malaysian noodles taste better for it.
So tell me, do you prepare everything before you start cooking or does it all just happen as it happens? And have you ever quit your job and moved half way round the world for love? did it work out?
Ingredients
Serves 4

Sauce
·         2 tbsp. Chilli Jam or sweet chilli sauce
·         2 tbsp. fish sauce
·         1 tbsp. tomato ketchup
·         2 tbsp. soy sauce
·         2 tbsp. peanut oil
·         2 tsp. curry powder (ready prepared or make your own)
Stir fry
·         2 tbsp. peanut oil
·         Tofu (firm)
·         2 shallots
·         2 cloves of garlic
·         500g fresh egg noodles (and size is ok but I like the thick ones best)
·         Bok Choy
·         Handful of bean sprouts

Garnish
·         2 spring onions
·         2 red chillies
·         lime wedges
·         hard boiled eggs

1.   First prepare the sauce by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
 
2.   Next prepare all the vegetables and tofu (my friend less ordinary would be so proud).
·         Finely chop the shallots and garlic
·         Cut the tofu into bite sized cubes
·         Rinse the bok choy and separate the leaves
·         Slice the spring onion and chilli for the garnish
3.   Prepare the noodles. If fresh these should only need a quick rinse with boiling water to remove the oil they always seem to be coated in. If using dry then these should be cooked as per the instructions.

4.   Boil the eggs.

5.   Once everything is ready heat the oil in the wok to begin stir frying.
6.   Start with the tofu and stir fry until it begins to crisp.

7.   Next add the shallots and garlic. Stir fry for a minute or two before adding the sauce.

8. Allow the sauce to bubble for a minute or so before adding the noodles. Toss to coat.

9.   Continue to cook for a further 2 min or until the sauce has mostly been absorbed by the tofu and noodles before adding the bean sprouts and bok choy.

10.            Toss gently and once the bok choy has just wilted it’s ready to serve.
11.            Sprinkle the spring onion and chilli slices on top and serve with boiled egg quarters and a wedge of lime.

To make this vegetarian just substitute extra soy sauce for the fish sauce. To make it more substantial you can add prawns, squid or extra veggies such as runner beans.

1 comment:

  1. When I was on my gap year my 'friend' flew out from London to New Zealand to join me for 2 weeks. We have been married for 5 years and have a daughter named Hannah. Thanks for the recipe I'll need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Follow @CherryLawson